The SAE Process

A qualified Substance Abuse Expert (SAE) is a clinical professional who evaluates employees to assist in the determination of fitness and return-to-duty.

As an SAE you are an advocate for neither the licensee, other entity, nor the individual. Your function as an SAE is to protect public health and safety by professionally evaluating the individual who has violated the substance abuse provisions of a fitness-for-duty policy and to make recommendations concerning education, treatment, return to duty, follow-up drug and alcohol testing, and aftercare.

To qualify as a Substance Abuse Expert (SAE) under the NRC regulatory guidelines, you must meet one of the following licensing requirements:

  • Licensed Physician (Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy)
  • Licensed Physician
  • Licensed or certified Psychologist
  • Licensed or certified Social Worker
  • Licensed or certified Employee Assistance Professional
  • Drug and Alcohol Counselor certified by the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors Certification Commission (NAADAC) or by the International Certification Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and other Drug Abuse (ICRC)

In order to perform U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) mandated evaluations you must be knowledgeable about and have clinical experience in the diagnosis and treatment of alcohol and controlled substance related disorders. Effective March 31, 2010 providers must complete an NRC qualification training & test.

If you are interested in joining SRS’ network, please complete our network enrollment package or contact a Recruitment Coordinator at 888-720-7277 X11. Upon receipt of the completed package and verification of all credentials, SRS will begin referring clients in your area in need of SAE evaluations.

If you are in need of SAE training and testing: Click here