The Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) is a clinician who evaluates employees who have violated a DOT drug and/or alcohol program regulation.
As a SAP you are an advocate for neither the employer nor the employee. Your function is to protect the public interest in safety by professionally evaluating the employee and recommending appropriate education/treatment, follow-up tests and aftercare. You are instrumental in guiding employees in the process of meeting compliance and returning to safety-sensitive positions such as a commercial driver getting back behind the wheel of a tractor trailer, a pilot returning to the cockpit of a plane, a conductor resuming the controls of a locomotive, a driver continuing to operate a transit bus, a commercial waterman once again taking the helm of a cargo vessel or an operator regaining the responsibility for the emergency controls of a natural gas pipeline. SRS takes the responsibility of maintaining public safety as seriously as our providers.
To qualify as a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) provider under the DOT regulatory guidelines, you must meet one of the following licensing requirements:
- Licensed Physician (Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy)
- Licensed or certified Psychologist
- Licensed or certified Social Worker
- Licensed or certified Marriage and Family Therapist
- Licensed or certified Employee Assistance Professional
- Drug and Alcohol Counselor certified by the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors Certification Commission (NAADAC), by the International Certification Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and other Drug Abuse (ICRC) or by the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC)
In order to perform Department of Transportation (DOT) mandated evaluations you must be knowledgeable about and have clinical experience in the diagnosis and treatment of alcohol and controlled substance related disorders. Effective December 31, 2003, providers must retain “DOT Qualification Training & Testing” certificates and complete 12 hours of continuing education during each three-year period from the date on which the SAP examination was completed.
If you are interested in joining SRS’ network, please complete our network enrollment package or contact a Recruitment Coordinator at 888-720-7277 ext. 11. Upon receipt of the completed package and verification of all credentials, SRS will begin referring clients in your area in need of SAP evaluations.